The article continues the list of horror stories for delays and customer non-service but in Wharton style tries to find the reasons (beyond Airline stupidity). Reasons discussed include:
- The hub and spoke system being at fault because it is not a scalable and small shocks at one airport effect everyone;
- Over protective bankruptcy laws making airlines inefficient;
- Simply the record demand levels;
- Antiquated safety rules slowing down take off and landing (such a prohibition on being within 20 miles of a plane that took off before you);
- The lack of an economic penalty for bad service and delays meaning then is no incentive to improve; and
- Limited access for better run and more customer focused competitors.