You will remember (or not) my initial recommendations to AsiaTravelMarket were to:
- ensure that they added more content/inventory/suppliers to their search results;
- bring a booking engine to the front page; and
- potentially to re-think the name to avoid confusion with the other companies that have the words "AsiaTravel" in their name.
- The targeted nature of AsiaTravelMarket (and the sister sites like AustraliaTravelMarket) creates a very attractive audience for advertisers, especially tourist bureaus and CVBs. More so - he claims - than a generalist meta-search companies;
- The platform is very modular, making it a great vehicle for building white-label sites for customers. Quotes the Malaysian Tourism Office's commissioning of GTM building MalaysiaTravelMarket - opening up dramatically different revenue streams that those accessed by the generalists; and
- Their competitors in each source market (ie the UK versions of Expedia, eBookers, Lastminute) continue to under-invest in destination information and destination focused services especially in Asia.
On the corporate side he shared with me that they plan to be cash flow positive within six months. Current operations are funded out of angel and founder rounds including and investment from Peter Wade (founder of Travelbag in the UK).
Dave and team have clearly thought through their model and plans. I look forward to hearing more.